Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Papermaking Studio- Part 1



This is the view down the road with the Indian ocean in the background.

My paper studio is very small, because we live in a densely populated part in the city of Durban,in Morningside.
I still manage to create my art and even have other artists to collaborate with me in the studio.




The main wet space is where most of the work happens. I spent a lot of time on the blue sink in the background, where I rinse the fibre after cooking.
The wooden construction
in the centre is the press.








This ugly m
etal bin is very
essential,because that is, where
all my fibres are cooked.








And on the left you see it stacked
with pineapple leaves,
a brick on top to keep
them under water.







These are the pineapple fibre before
jamming them into the pot.


















This machine is essential for my craft - the Hollander Beater. I makes the pulp by beating the fibres. It has a special role for plant fibres.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nirmi,
Congratulations on you beautiful blog. Cant believe how spacious the studio looks in the photos!

John